Monday, May 21, 2012

TAKING THE PLUNGE!



I'm doing the thing I said I'd NEVER DO! Start a blog!!!! Somewhere along the path of visiting others blogs I was bitten! I live quietly in a place of beauty & wide open spaces! It's a place I know the Lord brought us to! Just like you, I look for a place to share & make friends. So here I am! The computer is a place out of my comfort zone, but sometimes, many times it's in those places we grow! So, I've taken the plunge! I thought the time was right to begin as something fun happened! I found a "Virtual Tea Party" over at Splitcoasters.com for last Saturday! I was ecstatic! Knowing I could find some friends there & do something I love! Papercrafts & Tea! What FUN! We were supposed to create something Tea themed for the party. So, I pulled something out of my head that I'd had tucked away! A Paper Tea Cup & Saucer! I am NO math wiz! Believe me!!!!! I didn't even have the proper tools for this, BUT I had a pencil & paper! (I guess this shows, where's there a will, there's a way!) I know there are others out there that can do this quicker & probably better! It took me DAYS to create the template! But, I had fun doing it! And I had such a positive response to them! I wanted to share with more people! I hope to share my template with you sometime in the future!  So, here's my first try!
My inspiration was Lomonosov china! I LOVE the blue & white & the gold just makes it look elegant!  I thought the handle looked a little wonky, so I reworked the handle & here is my second try!
I LOVE PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And of course, it had to have gold too! There's just SOMETHING about pink china! And lastly, I had to do another blue & white set!
Leaving a little more white showing...this one too is like Lomonosov china. If you're a Stampin Up lover, you'll notice the stamps I used! The first cup I used: Carte Postale (retired), the second cup (pink) I used Elements of Style, & lastly Fresh Vintage. I also used a gold Krylon Pen which I ABSOLUTELY LOVE & would recommend on any project that you want to be just a little elegant! Hope you like!

I thought since these little cups were the very thing that spurred me to take the plunge, I would add a Tea time recipe for you to enjoy! How about some Buttermilk Scones?
BUTTERMILK SCONES
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 t. cream of tartar
1/2 t. baking soda
Pinch of salt
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 c. raisins (optional)
1/4 c.to 1/3 c. buttermilk
Egg Wash
Demerara Cane Sugar (for sprinkling on top)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, stir flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, & sugar together until well blended. Using a pastry cutter, blend in the pieces of butter till mix looks like coarse crumbs. Stir in the raisins & add buttermilk. Stirring in just until the mixture is moist enough to cling together. (Over blending & too much liquid will result in tough scones!)

Place ball of dough onto your baking sheet. (I like to use stoneware) And flatten out the dough, then cut the dough into equal wedges. (Dough should be about 1/2 inch thick.) Move the wedges about 1 inch apart. Brush with the egg wash ( 1 egg & 1 T. water mixed). Then sprinkle on the Demerara Sugar. Bake for 15-20 mins. or until golden brown. Serve warm. Can serve these with warm honey butter.
(Will make 10-12 scones)

This recipe is from Sharon O'Connor's Menus & Music
AFTERNOON TEA SERENADE

I think you'll think,  you've died & gone to heaven with one bite of these scones! Using real butter is the key! ENJOY! :) 

18 comments:

  1. Congratulations Becky, it's so exciting to see you here. Your teacups are beautiful. I especially like the first one. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us. Love the bright yellow background. ~ Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi TLady! Your blog is very colorful and cheerful! Love your teacups. Have fun with your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ladies!!!!!!! I'm SOOO HAPPY you've come to visit!!!!!! :) You're THE BEST!!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice!! Glad you joined, can't wait to see what you create - already intriged with the teacups and scones!!
    Thanks for sharing! :)
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your creativity is wonderful and your cards are way too beautiful to throw away (I have kept every one.) Really like the wallpaper you've chosen for the blog (reminds me of having tea on a summer day inside a Victorian gazebo.)
    God bless,
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your new blog TLady. I enjoyed checking out your beautiful tea cups. I thought they were real china at first glance. WOW!

    Best wishes...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Becky. I am your second follower. I enjoyed our virtual tea party and look forward to the next one. Can't wait to see more of your beautiful tea cup designs!

    My blog is www.doodledivadesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. pretty cool, that first one almost had me fooled. Thanks for visiting and leaving comments at my blog every day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, and as a newbie blogger, I highly recommend shutting off word verification and instead turn on moderated comments. I prefer to leave comments where I don't have to try and decipher some crypt before having it go through. Most people I know dislike word verification. Plus, that doesn't always stop the spammers anyway so it's always better to moderate comments. Good luck on your new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Morning TLady! I received your suggestion this morning and will try and see if I can leave a comment. Also ... Kim Score - where do I find 'word verification' to see how to turn it off? Love the teacups and hope to see how to make soon! Here it goes ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow.......you are so talented. I love cups of Tea and your creations are just beautiful. Welcome to blog land! Reading your introduction reminded of me, I felt exactly the same way. But its lots of fun and you make some great friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I said I would never start a blog as well. Never say never! :-) Welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your teapots are adorable! Congratulations on your new blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on your new blog. It is lovely! I love tea and teacups too..I collect teapots and your cards grabbed my eye. I can't wait to try your scones the next time I have a tea party with my nieces. Have fun! Lots of nice people to share with and learn from.

    ReplyDelete
  15. your teacups are GORGEOUS! they look so real :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS! My Paper Tea Cups were chosen as a WEEKLY FAVORITE on SCS! :) (HAPPY DANCE!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What great tea cups. I had to have a look. I'm also new to the blogging world - enjoy! Might have to go make myself a fresh cup! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I enjoy hearing from you & hope to see you again soon!