Monday, June 11, 2012

JUNE is NATIONAL ICED TEA MONTH!

Did you know that June is National Iced Tea Month? I have a Tea Time recipe for you I think you'll LOVE! I spotted this recipe in one of my cookbooks & wanted to give it a try. So, I sent my husband to the grocery to find some Rose Hip Tea Bags! They weren't to be found! (I REALLY don't like Rose Hip Tea anyway, but thought I'd give this recipe a try. But, it wasn't to be!) I've altered the recipe with the tea I had in my cupboard & I ABSOLUTELY LOVE how it came out! I'll give you BOTH recipes! Both recipes are  HEALTHY! AND for Tea time, I don't think ANYTHING else needs to be served with it!

Let me just give you some guidelines in serving iced tea first! This information is from Dorothea Johnson, the founder of the Protocol School of Washington. You should serve your iced tea in a tall glass & place it on a small plate or saucer, as a coaster,  to protect your linens. Of course, you will want those slender, long iced tea spoons to stir in your sweetner &/or lemon. Place your iced tea spoons on the outer right side of the small plate or saucer, before & after use.

If there is no small plate or saucer served with your iced tea, leave your iced tea spoon in your glass. I know, you're thinking it'll poke my eye out while I'm drinking! Use your index finger, you know, the one you point with, to hold the spoon away from your face as you drink!

It is appropriate to serve sugar & lemon with the iced tea. Placing the thinnly sliced lemon on a small saucer with a lemon fork & close by the sugar, in sugar cube form. (Myself, I also add granulated sugar & a small basket of "sweetner.")

Here is the first recipe from The Charms of Tea Reminiscences & Recipes, by Victoria Magazine.

ROSY YOGURT COOLER

2 rosehip tea bags
2 c. boiling water
2 c. plain lowfat yogurt
1 c. sliced strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries
3 T. honey

About 8 strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries

1) Put the rosehip tea bags in a small tea pot or bowl. Pour  the 
   boiling water over them & let them steep, covered, for about 10 
   minutes. Remove the tea bags.
2) Put the yogurt, berries, & honey in a blender. Blend until 
   smooth.
3) Add the tea to the yogurt mixture. Blend until smooth.
4) Serve over ice, with whole berries.

Now, here is my recipe or ingredients. Follow the same procedure as above! I'll call mine:

BERRY YOGURT COOLER

2 Celestial Seasonings Wild Berry Tea Bags (From their Fruit Tea
  Sampler)
2 c. boiling water
2 c. Stoneyfields Vanilla yogurt
1 c. Strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries
3 T. honey

(I used about 2 medium strawberries sliced, & filled the rest of the cup with equal amounts of blueberries & raspberries, red.)

Take a look at this!



I asked my husband what he'd give this on a scale of 1-10! He gave it a 10! The spoons are for fishing out those berries, & I'll be honest, I WISH I'd  had a straw!

Something else I did was pour it into a Pamper Chef pitcher that has a plunger, so I could mix it well.
Depending on your blender, you might have to mix it in batches when making the recipe. My blender is 5 c. or 1.25 L & it did just fine. But, the pitcher allows you to put it in the refrigerator for having later, or if you don't use it all at once. I found it went well with Breakfast the next morning too!

Hope you give this recipe a try, I'm SURE you'll find it as refreshing as we did!
"HAPPY TEA TIME" from TLADY

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by, I enjoy hearing from you & hope to see you again soon!