Wednesday, January 30, 2013

For The Love Of Valentines!

Hi Friends!
Hope all is well with you & yours! It is raining here & the forecast says it will be getting colder (we JUST seemed to thaw out from all the ice!)  & snow is in the forecast... Brrrr! But, LOVE IS IN THE AIR, with Valentines on the way! Are you ready for VALENTINES DAY? This is one "holiday" I LOOOOVE to celebrate! Who doesn't love to be told they're loved? It isn't far away so, I thought I better get a move on it & get these done & thought you might like to see too! Take a look!
-Little Vintage Valentines- 
 I was going for something that would remind the recipients  of their days in grade school, receiving all those sweet little valentines. These are only 2 3/4" x 4 1/4" & a  little vintage which is my very FAVORITE! (I'll make a list at the end of the post with all the goodies I used on all my cards!)

-"The Equation Is Clear"-
Inside verse: "I Love You!"
This one is for our Mathematician! I just HAD TO try the chalk-board technique that is all the rage right now! AND use some Chevron paper too!

-"You've Won" Vintage Bingo-
Inside verse- "My Heart, over & over!"
AND I've been wanting to use Vintage Bingo cards too!

-Sweet Cupid-
This one, I just wanted to make it SWEET!

-Stand-Up Card-
I also HAD TO make one of my Stand-Up Cards too!

-"I've Flipped Over You!" 
AND I even made a SPECIAL card from one of our kitties to our daughter! This is Daisy when she was a wee-little-one! (She's STILL pretty "wee-little!" LOL She was one of SEVEN little kitties her mommy had! ) She follows our daughter all over the place! AND she TALKS to her too! (Our daughter  mimics her talk & they have a conversation going on for quite sometime! It's absolutely ADORABLE! I'm SURE she's telling our daughter SOMETHING of GREAT IMPORTANCE!)

AND I even have something special you can make for those special someone(s) in your life!
I call them
VALENTINES ORNAMENTS
This very Ornament is the thing that got me into serious stamping years ago! I created this little ornament for my friends & sent them for Valentines one year. For my family, I made them some too & hung them on the back of our dinning room chairs with a large netting bow,  when I created a special Valentine Tea!

1) Start by finding a die or something you can cut a HEART SHAPE from. I like the Fiskars Template, (Orange Plastic- you can find them at Hobby Lobby & Michaels! ) Using the My Safe Cutter by Fiskars. The heart is a little rounder than the Spellbinders. You can get more of the image you use with the Fiskars Template.

2) Find an IMAGE you like. I used an image from Memories of a Lifetime Romantic Illustrations, which can be found at Barnes & Nobles here:
 OR
 you can find images from Dover- Vintage Valentines
found here:
OR
from RedLead here:
There are all different kinds of Valentines out there for Free of charge too!
Here's one place to look,  Free Vintage Digi Stamps:
http://freevintagedigistamps.blogspot.com/search/label/Valentines
If you let Pamela know what you're looking for, she'll do her best to find you something! She also has Free Digi Print Papers! (Valentines papers too!)
3) COPY YOUR IMAGE onto card stock & CUT YOUR IMAGE out using the heart shape you chose. Add any embossing powder for an extra special touch at this point, emphasizing what you want emphasized, Hearts, gold lines etc.!
4) You will need ANOTHER HEART SHAPE IDENTICAL IN SIZE. I usually use a different color or patterned paper. Make sure you use a heavier card stock or equal to what you used for the front piece. DECORATE this piece using smaller stamps. You can stamp "Happy Valentines," a verse, or someones name.
This is the back of my ornament.

5) Using a HOLE PUNCH & GROMMETS, punch a hole into the hearts, separately---lining them up & add the grommets. I like to use grommets that are similar in color to the card stock. (See picture above.)
6) PAPER PIERCE all around the front heart edge, right up to the grommet.
7) Using SEED BEADS & RIBBON-5/8", sew the ribbon & seed beads onto the front heart/image.
I sew on the ribbon, pleating it as I go, then come back through those same holes & sew on your seed beads. I use two beads per stitch. (This is the longest part of this project.) Make sure as you sew that your threads are pulled tight or your seed beads will sag! Just roll them around under your fingers, untwisting the thread at times.
This is a picture of how I sewed on the seed beads & the ribbon. (At this point, I'm ready to add the seed beads.)  
This is how the back of the front heart/image will look when you're done. Be careful not to cover the hole with ribbon  & keep your stitching to the inner edge of the ribbon.
8) Using a HOT GLUE GUN, line up the hearts (front & back)  by the grommet placements. Tucking in any loose threads, glue just a little at the top of the heart; place the back heart on lining up the grommets, (making SURE that the grommets stay open!) Making sure you'll be able to cover the stitching, gluing only a little bit at a time & pressing it down. Work your way around taking your time! You can always go back & pull off those strings of glue that form.
9) Using a THINNER RIBBON--1/8" to match the larger ribbon, here I used grosgrain ribbon, string the ribbon through the grommets & tie off the end. 
Here's the finished Ornament:
And the back:
Don't forget to sign your name on the edge of the back so the recipient will remember who this little Valentine is from! I also like to put the year too! 

Here is the list of supplies for the Valentines I've made:

-Little Vintage Valentines-
Tweety Jill Stamps-Vintage Valentines, & Cupids & Hears
SU-Lovely Little Labels
Dick Blick Colored Pencils & Gamasol
Red Stickles
Tim Holtz Vintage Linen Ink

-"The Equation Is Clear"-
Hero Arts- Formula Fun stamp
SU- Calendar Alphabet & Numbers stamps
DCWV paper- chevron
Felt heart- I made that & embroidered it!
White Embossing Powder & Ink

-"You've Won" Vintage Bingo- 
Image found on the net-free
SU-Calendar Alphabet & Numbers stamps
SU Stampin Around- Love
SU- punches
Wilton 4"  Doily
Tim Holtz Vintage Photo Ink
Text paper- from an old Encyclopedia (was free at the Library!)

-Sweet Cupid-
Tweety Jill- Cupids & Hearts, Vintage Valentines
Dick Blick colored pencils & Gamasol
Wilton 4" Doily
Stampendous- Red Tinsel Embossing Powder

-Stand-Up Card-
Stampabilities- Snoopy Be Mine
SU- Punches
SU Stampin Around- Love
Dick Blick Alcohol Markers

-"I've Flipped Over You"-
Photo
Wilton 4" Doily
SU- P is for Paw
SU- Punch

-Valentine Ornament-
(Back)
Verse- AAW C2607 - Heart that Holds
Rose- Inkadinkado 97539 K

Hope this inspires you if you haven't begun your Valentines!

"Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; & every one that loveth is born of God, & knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love."
1 John 4:7-8. 

Sending VALENTINE HUGS your way!
TLady








10 comments:

  1. Wow, Becky!! You've been very busy creating beautiful cards! I think they're all fabulous, although my two favorites would be Snoopy, and the "Sweet Cupid" card...and all the others too! lol
    The lesson on how to make the lovely ornament is great too!
    I appreciate you ending this wonderful post with a Scripture verse!...Nancy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nancy! So glad you enjoyed this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them all.....my post went away some where. Is the chalkboard tech. hard to do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU Cherry! And no, It's SUPER EASY! Use Versa Mark & stamp your image, White Embossing Powder & Heat set, some people stamp white ink over top & off set it some, but I didn't, I just used a White Ink Pen here & there & then just smudge some white ink here & there to give it that final chalk board look! :) EASY PEASY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the visits and kind comments you leave on my blog. They are appreciated. You sure have been busy with the valentines. They are lovely, thanks for sharing and inspiring. ~ Abby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! These cards are amazing! I love the sweetness and vintage feel of them! Snoopy is one of my favorites and I think the kitty card is just the sweetest! Thanks for sharing your wonderful Valentine ornament idea too! Great creation! Hope you don't get snowed in! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becky - These are so adorable!! Love them! I think you've just inspired me to start using my glue gun again! LOL!

    Thank you for all the SWEET comments you leave on my BLOG everyday!!! You're THE BEST!!! xo

    -PaMeLa ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am leaving a comment here because I do not see your email anywhere and your comments on my blog are "no reply". I wanted to say thank you for all your sweet comments on my blog during release week, I appreciate all your support. :)

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been anxiously awaiting the release of your teacup pattern. Is it available? And where can I find it? OR when will it be ready? Thank you. Bev

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I enjoy hearing from you & hope to see you again soon!