Saturday, June 15, 2013

DOUBLE WHAMMY, "Open Sesame!"

Hi Blog Friends!
I have a SPECIAL TREAT for you today! It's Timeless Tuesday over at Flourishes!
The Challenge is to create a card or project that moves or opens in a non-traditional way, a card that just doesn't open in the normal way. It's due on Monday by 6 p.m. Check it out here:

Now, I HAVE TO TELL YOU! When I was making this card I had a MONSTER HEADACHE which lasted several days! So, my head was having trouble trying to figure this thing out! My first step was to figure out WHAT I was going to do! So, I turned to a book I've had for awhile but, never made a card from yet! It's called, Making Mechanical Cards by Sheila Sturrock. You can find it here:
Flipping through, I decided on one. I can't show you HOW I made it, I think that might not be fair to Sheila & her book. So, do check out her book. The cards have a difficulty level at the top of each page. The card I did has a two star in difficulty & the level of difficulty of the cards in the book, go up to three.

I started by doing a mock-up first, since this was my first time attempting this card. Take a look---
This is the back of where the main image would be. You can see a little of the mechanism. Yes, that is wire at the bottom & there is more wire in there in a different place! NOTICE, my little note to self? When I put this together, head ache & all, I couldn't get it to slide in there nicely & so I took my book & the parts & showed my DEAR SWEET HUSBAND, who can figure ANYTHING out! Guess what? I had the main piece UPSIDE DOWN! DAAAAH!!!!!!!

Well, take a look at what I did!
I wanted to go VINTAGE like the cards made in the past were made....People loved to give & receive mechanical Valentines & Christmas cards back in the 1800's & still today! I decided since this was a SPECIALLY MADE card, it should be for a SPECIAL OCCASION! So I made it a Birthday Card! Take a look at some more photos of this card & I'll list the supplies at the bottom of my post.
The base of the card is an Easel Card. I thought that was the best way to let the main image shine! I have to confess, I made my easel card a little different than what's out there. That headache bothered me so much, I had a hard time thinking...and, with the front of the card being a little heavier & larger than I normally make, ( the face of the card is 6 13/16" x 5") I made adjustments & it pops up nicely & folds nicely too for mailing! I will have to mail it in a special envelope when I do mail it, just because of the size, but that's OK! 

Now, for the "DOUBLE WHAMMY,"  take a look at what the mechanism does to the main image!
Can you see it? The whole bouquet just opens up, just by pulling the green ribbon at the top & there are little messages at the base of each flower or a BEE! (Not the stinging kind, I PROMISE!) LOL

Here's an even closer look--I didn't have any Flourishes stamps THAT TINY to fit on these little tabs, so I took a look at the sets I had by Flourishes & hand wrote them! (In the book, the card had stickers! I didn't  think I'd like that.)  
Here is the inside, plenty of room to write a letter if you like! And you can see where I used dimensionals between the main image with the mechanism & the card base! To help it operate better!
Here are some more pictures,  in different lighting so you can see the glitter I added! First a side view. You can see I added dimensionals on just about everything! & my Gold Krylon Pen!


You can see I added another little  bee to this flower on the base.


Supplies Used:
(Those not mentioned above)
Flourishes- Bee's & Blooms (Main Image)
Flourishes- Sentiment- Sentimental Favorites
Tim Holtz- Tea Dye
Paper- Color Bok-Rosewood
For the hand written sentiments on the tabs-
Flourishes- Garden Picks & Feminine Charm.
Becca's Bow Maker
Wire Cutters
Copics
Faber Castell- White Pitt Pen
Memento Blk. Ink
SU- Corner Punch
Glitter Gel Pen

HOPE you like my card, I'd LOVE to hear what you think!

"Do not be overcome by evil but overcome evil with good."
Romans 12:21

Hope your "Open Sesame" brings you something GOOD!
TLady






8 comments:

  1. WOW Becky! This is amazing! I like the little pull tabs and all of your perfectly colored flowers. I can see this took a lot of work...and it was all done with a bad headache? Awesome job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Gorgeous card!! If this is what you did with a monster headache, I can't imagine what awesome card you'd create without one!! :) Thanks for joining us at the Timeless Tuesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy canoly Becky! That's AMAZING!!! I'm totally going to have to check out her book! SO COOL! Love it! Thanks for playing along with us for our Timeless Tuesday Challenge this week!
    Ally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOKEY DINAH, my friend! That is absolutely stunning! So sorry for your headache...those monsters are nasty! Hope you've recovered!...Nancy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card is beautiful. You must have TONS of patience :) Keeping fingers crossed that you will WIN!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa! Just as a regular card, this would be fab, but the mechanics of it is absolutely amazing!!! I'm definitely looking for that book! Thank you SO much for the congrats and for your sweet comments on my blog. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your fab work in the Timeless Tuesday Challenges!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowsers, that is amazing! I love the elegance and detail you have in it, not to mention that it moves! Beautiful job! I hope the headache is gone! Thanks for visiting my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Turned out gorgeous, glad DH was there to help. I am horrible with mechanical things as well. ha!!! Mine would of been the same girlie. This is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I enjoy hearing from you & hope to see you again soon!