Monday, December 30, 2013

A Tribute To My Friend!

Hi Blog Friends!
We finally had our Christmas Dinner yesterday after having the flu. I heard this weekend on the news that the flu this year is widespread, so we probably weren't the only ones in bed on Christmas morning. HOPE you weren't one of them!

Today, I'm LATE in getting to this Timeless Tuesday Flourishes Challenge, but I wanted to play along & having gotten word over the Christmas break that one of my friends had passed away, I thought a Sympathy card was in order.

The Challenge:

Before I begin with my card, I just wanted to tell you a little about my friend. I met Irene YEARS AGO when our son was in First Grade--about 15 years ago. She befriended me when I transferred our son across town, to another school after all the troubles we had. As I sat in the foyer of the school waiting for school to let out one afternoon, she motioned me over & we began to talk & became FRIENDS! She was a Great Grandmother then. She would take her Great Grandchildren where ever they needed to be, & watch over them, they KNEW they could depend on her.  She volunteered her time in a Mission, would go to the grocery stores & collect the day old bread for those in need. She wasn't afraid of working! I remember when one of her great grandchildren wanted to take Driving School, she got a job to help pay for it. She had health problems even back then, but NEVER complained & just kept on going! She ALWAYS had one of her great grandchildren with her. Those children were HER LIFE & she was SOOO PROUD OF THEM! Even after we moved away, & we'd  talk on the phone, all she could talk about were those children. She had a heart that was SOOO BIG & FULL OF LOVE!!!  When Irene passed, she was a Great, Great Grandmother & she was surrounded by her family. Her last words to her family? "I Love You too!" Irene will be GREATLY MISSED!
I made this Sympathy Card for Irene's Family. I wanted to create something that was as beautiful as she was---I KNOW I have greatly failed on that point! There is nothing better than the color PINK to help with the feeling of "beautiful" in my book!
Take a look:
I used a Spellbinders Die- Perfectly Pierced Victorian Oval Template Die;  made just for Flourishes.

Here you can see where I stamped on the pink background paper to make a print, covering it with Vellum to make it softer. The image only peeks out a little from under the vellum at the torn edge.

I used SU- Silver Embossing powder on the main image-Flourishes- Roses Are Red, & the sentiment- Flourishes- Sentimental Favorites.
Just a close-up of the image---colored with Distress Markers & SU Markers.

HOPE you like! I'm off to get this posted over at Flourishes---remember, I'm running behind!  To find out more about this Flourishes Challenge & other Flourish Challenges check here:

A Tribute To My Friend!
TLady

Additional Supplies not mentioned above:
SU- paper
Dimensionals
Versa Mark Ink
SU- Ink





4 comments:

  1. How terrible to be so sick on Christmas! Glad to hear you are feeling better! Your card is adorable...so glad you could play along with us at Flourishes for our Timeless Tuesday Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky you were to have met that wonderful woman & I know her family will be comforted with this lovely card. Glad you're feeling better & were able to join in my vellum challenge at Flourishes Timeless Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful and I am sure your friend absolutely loved it. Sorry to hear you were sick for Christmas. Glad you are finally feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card the rose is wonderful hope you are feeling better.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I enjoy hearing from you & hope to see you again soon!