Monday, December 8, 2014

"And The Stockings Were Hung..."

Hi Blog Friends!

This is the month that just INSPIRES ME to CREATE!
Getting ready for Christ's Birthday & making things for my loved ones & friends is a special time.
I have been busy here & I will show you what I've been working on.

First of all, I will be entering these in the following challenges:
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge- Christmas/ Holidays
Check here:
http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge/


Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge Blog 
Challenge #21 Celebrate the Season
Check here:
http://gloriadesignschallenge.blogspot.com/2014/12/challenge-21-celebrate-season.html

Be sure to check out these challenges & jump in on all the fun! 
(I do believe, they expire SOON!)

I've made a little tutorial for you too, so grab your favorite cup of tea/coffee & sit back & enjoy!
Here are a few sneak peaks to get you ready:
I used the a stamp set that is an EXCLUSIVE to SSS for the tags!
JOY- by Kelly Purkey.
A SWEET GIFT from Kat!
(That's how she signed her sweet note.)
THANKS KAT! :)

Hmmm, "Elf No. 2" stamped "his number," but needs to initial these tags,
 a final sign-off by Santa's Rules!
You know, "Quality Inspections...."
We MUST follow Santa's rules! LOL

Here's my tutorial:
We're going to
 EMBOSS FELT!


Using the SU- Holiday Stocking Bigz Die cut two--of felt or material.
(I ONLY buy Bigz Dies when they are on sale/clearance!)
Apply Mod Podge to the felt & let dry overnight.
(The Mod Podge will act as a stabilizer if you apply this to cotton material like I did on one of my stockings.)

Make sure you don't get anxious & emboss before the decoupage is totally dry or you'll be scrubbing your embossing folder with a brush like me.  I thought this was dry, but it wasn't quite dry.... LOL
No worry, I just waited till the morning & all was well.
(The embossing folder needs to be scrubbed right away!)
I used SU- Petals a Plenty (Now in Clearance-$4.79. That's a STEAL!)
No worry if the toe peaks out, you'll see why.

If you enlarge the photo, you'll see the left is the soft side after it's been embossed.
The right side is the side I added the decoupage to.

Here's a closer look.
You can use either side, it's a matter of personal preference.

 Lay the cuff on the top of one side of the stocking & figure out how high/low you want it to be.
Start sewing on one end, leaving a space on either end.

You'll see in the picture below where I started & finished.

Line up the stockings to sew together.

Flip up/back the cuff on both sides, where you didn't sew & begin sewing down one side,
 & follow on around the stocking.
(Don't forget your back stitching when you sew! Experienced sewers know this, but you'd be surprised to know, that some people don't back stitch. Even with being "experienced!")

Trim off the excess, where you didn't get it quite even.
I also trimmed a little on the cuff too.
(Be careful there. You don't want to take away too much.)

 Add the heels & toes.
I used Multi-Medium Matte & let it dry.
You can find Multi-Medium Matte at SSS.

Trim off the excess when it's dry.


Hand stitch closed the front of the cuff.

Hand stitch lace on top of the cuff, tucking in the ends in the open end of the cuff.
This will also cover up the stitch you made to connect the cuff & the stocking on the sewing machine.
After tucking in the ends of the lace & stitching the lace to the cuff,
whip stitch the last open end of the cuff.

Cut little petals  out of felt & 2 green leaves for the flower.
(You'll see one leaf here, but I soon found out I needed 2!)

I made tags to go on my stockings using the set from
 Simon Says Stamp--It's a Simon Exclusive -Joy by Kelly Purkey.
Here you can see I used an "Out of the box" technique with my punch.
I wanted  a little tab to add twine or ribbon to, to tie them onto the stockings.
Such SUPER CUTE TAGS!!!

Here are the finished Stockings & ideas as to how to use them:

This one is more traditional with embossing on the felt. I added tiny jingle-bells to the center of the poinsettia & on the ends of the ribbon, & I also added a larger jingle-bell to the toe.

The next stocking was made with embossing the felt with SU- Northern Flurries embossing folder.
I didn't think it showed up as well, so I added Stickles to the snowflakes.
I also hand sewed Silver Glass Seed Beads-from Wal-mart, (Mainstays Crafts), on the lace & on the stocking itself.
The Ribbon Flower is an extra from a previous project.

Next, I have a Pink Stocking! I don't know WHAT it is lately, but I am LOVING pink for Christmas! LOL This one is actually done with fleece. I found it leaves more fluff to work with when sewing on beads. I hand sewed Silver Glass Beads on the lace  & then on the stocking itself, creating snowflakes. 
This one took me quite awhile to finish! 
And again I made a poinsettia, just making it a little fuller, & adding seed beads for the center. 
Seed beads were also sewn to the ends of the ribbons.

I couldn't get away from making a BATMAN stocking! LOL
I added tiny jingle-bells to the jester-style cuff I created. 
(Our son didn't like the jingle-bells...but, I told him it's a little touch of the joker. 
He told me, "Never mix the Batman & the Joker!" LOL
 I did some "fancy" stitching on the heels & toes & around the top of the stocking with craft embroidery thread.
I adhered the heels & toes with decoupage,
& I added a larger jingle-bell to the toe
 For the top corner of the stocking I created a bottle cap pin with a 1" epoxy sticker & stuck it over the Batman symbol on the material I had.
 Cut  out the image around the sticker, & glued it in the bottle cap, also gluing a pin clasp to the back.

Here are a few ideas on how to use these cute stockings:

You can slip a gift card/s & a few small candies in them & give this away....

AND/OR
 
Write the year & a small note on the back of one of the tags & use as a Christmas Tree Ornament,
for you or the recipient!

Hope you like these little stockings!
Let me know what you think?
Your comments are always appreciated!

Busily stuffing those stockings & getting Elf #2 to "sign-off" on these!
WHAT was he thinking?
TLady

P.S. I even came up with another idea when I was almost done with these....
think Camouflage & deer antler buttons....! LOL
I'll need to get to the sewing store for that!

Additional Supplies not mentioned above: 
1 3/4" SU- Circle Punch
1/8" SU- Hand held punch
Bakers Twine
SU- Silver Elastic Cording
Ribbons &  1/8" Silky Cording
Inkessentials White Pen
Embossing Powders-SU & Sparkle-N-Sprinkle
SU- Markers
Alphabet Stamps- (For the #2) Stampington
Hot Glue Gun
Paper- SU & White Copy Cardstock
Batman Material-Wal-mart


































12 comments:

  1. Wow! How creative you are! Your items are absolutely beautiful! Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool, love these! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful stockings and the Batman one is fabulous love all the added details
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely stockings! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These stockings are so cute! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute stockings. Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super adorable stockings!! Love them all!!

    Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! Your stockings are gorgeous..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty pink stocking! Perfect for a little girl :) You are so creative and the detail on these is beautiful!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my! These are so lovely and you've made so many different ones! I just love them! Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never thought about doing this. Now I'm going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, these are great. I love the charms/trinkets! That batman stocking made me chuckle a but. Adorable!!!! Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I enjoy hearing from you & hope to see you again soon!